The craze for outdoor games can never die out. The example of lawn bowling can be easily cited in this regard. People still thing of it as a very exciting and engaging game.
History of the game
The origin of the game can be traced back to the 13th century and the then London. A number of texts describe this game and its popularity. In no time the game had won over people’s hearts. Its popularity reached such heights that it was banned by the king as it came to be believed that the game might put other games at risk. But lawn bowling has still managed to survive and today the game is played in more than 40 countries.
What is the game all about?
The basic rules of the game can be outlined as follows.
- The game involves the rolling of a ball (flattened in order to ensure that it makes a curve) towards resting white ball called jack
- The aim of the game is to reach closer to the jack than the opponent
- The balls are generally black or brown in color to be rolled on a flat lawn.
- The balls weigh to about 1.5 Kgs.
- The entire playing area is divided into rectangle shaped sections having a width of around 18-21 feet.
- Points are scored based upon how near is your ball compared to your opponent
- There is no limit to the points in single matches in a game of lawn bowling but the matches are generally played to around 21 points
The game today
Lawn Bowling, which is believed to have originated with Roman soldiers who struck upon the idea by throwing stones at targeted boulders, has gained worldwide acclaim. The presence of associations like the United Lawn Bowls Association United Lawn Bowls Association and similar other associations in other countries vouch for this fact.